Saturday, January 30, 2016

Spontaneous Service with a Smile

Jan 30 It has been a slow paced Saturday. We had planned on taking the boys skiing today but it was a stormy windy day so we opted to go another day. The boys had mix feelings about that. They were disappointed but they know how miserable it can be in the frigid wind. 
In the afternoon the boys were trying to figure out what to do, I was working on one of my Master's Degree classes, and Darryl was napping.  The boys finally decided they wanted to go outside and play. I knew I needed to go out and shovel the 3 inches of freshly fallen snow but I wanted to just finish the chapter I was working on so I stayed a while longer at the computer.  Kade came down to check-in about 45 min. after he'd gone out. He announced he had just shoveled our driveway and the neighbors.  After a few questions I discovered he had some help from our neighbor Clint and his snowblower. Kade headed aback out to help shovel another few driveways.  As I watched him shovel I was impressed with how hard he was working. The best part though was how happy he was.  He went from being so bored that he thought his life was over, to being so pleasantly happy that he wanted to keep shoveling. There is a happiness pill for you: service! It's cheap and has very few adverse side effects.

No comments: