Friday, August 15, 2008

Birch Orderville Hike


We spent Friday hiking Birch Hallow Canyon, Orderville Canyon, and the end of the Zion's Narrows. This trip will strike many feelings in many ways: excitement, embarrassment, pain, apprehension, exhilaration, freezing, sweating, awe, and extreme FUN! We went with some friends from St. George, Mike and his daughter Kirsten; a college friend of Darryl's, Nate; and our neighbors Gary and Wendy. The Spencer's had thought about doing a will before we left and I think there were times on the hike that they really wish they would have taken care of that. All said and done, I think everyone had a great time. I think this will be an annual trip for us so if 12 hours of repelling off huge cliffs, hiking through mud, swimming through icky water, seeing amazing sights, and acquiring euphoria is up your alley leave a comment and we'll put you on the list for next year!
Disclaimer: It is likely that you will obtain bruises, scratches, and overall soreness-- all of which will be gone in less than a week. : )

11 comments:

Stacie Aho said...

Isn't that a great hike? We just did it about a month ago and had so much fun. I heard a good quote recently, "Canyoneering- sort of like fun, but different". Funny.

Autumn said...

You are a brave girl! Do you ever go to Swiss Day's there in Midway?

Jenn said...

Aut I don't know about brave but I do enjoy fun.
I have never been to Swiss Days-- I think it is a sin to live in Heber and not go to Swiss Days. I should repent and go! We've talked about going this year. Do you go? Are you coming up for it? We'd love to see you guys. If you need a place to stay you're more than welcome at our house!

Spencer's Adventures said...

Can I just copy your post? I looked at pictures last night for over an hour. I can't decide what to put on!!! It was an awesome trip. Thanks again!

Cassy said...

Looks like lots of fun!

Rachel said...

WOW - YOU GUSY ARE HARD CORE!

So pretty and so out of my comfort zone!

Jenny said...

So in and out of my comfort zone! I will work on getting in shape so I will be able to get on that list! I should be done with feeding Charlee by then!!!! It might be a bit hard core but what a great experience. Brian would go in a heart beat.
Did you worry about flash floods or anything???? SOOOOO COOOOOL

Jenny said...

I love the Canyoneering quote BTW

rosie said...

Wow,
This looks like a wild adventure! It kind of reminds me of the Subway hike down there. I bet the water was cold! I know EJ would go, let us know when you are thinking about going again!

Jenny said...

Make a list of things that you wish you would of had with you and a list of things you didn't need! GOOD SHOES #1 Strong BACK! #2

Jenn said...

Wish I would have had:
Longer shorts. I wore Darryl's quick-dry shorts-- not a good idea when wearing a rappeling harness. Too much leg exposure for me! ;)

Things I didn't need:
Food wow did we ever have a ton of food!