Saturday, August 30, 2008

Grandma's Funeral


We headed to Sevier County last night for Grandma Brown's funeral. There were SO many cousins there. Many I haven't seen for years. They had to section off the entire chapel for family to set in the front. All the other people there were in the overflow. It was great to remember and pay tribute to a seriously amazing woman! I had to put a few pictures of Grandma's house and the shed out back that we played in. There is also a picture of my dad with all his brothers and sisters on the porch of the home they were raised in. My dad wrote this poem that I thought was so insightful and said everything so perfectly.

The Welcoming
by Dahl Brown

We'd all been called to her bedside
As she took her final breath
Our hearts were torn by grief and pain
To lose our mother in death.

As we stood there in our selfishness
Wishing she hadn't passed
The spirit manifest to me
That she was home at last.

It said, "Listen, can't you hear it?
There is a might roar
It's cheers of joy and welcoming
From loved ones gone before."

Then gospel truths laid rest my pain
And joy swept over me
As I realized She'd merely gone
To where she'd rather be.

With her beloved husband
Whose parting brought such pain
She's happy now that she's returned
To be with him again.

And with parents she had missed so much
And longed to see once more
Brothers and sisters that she loved
Who'd passed long before.

There are so many glad to see her
I felt selfish in my grief
She'd suffered long without their love
And now she's found relief.

I bowed my head in selfish shame
And said a silent prayer
And thanked my Heavenly Father
That my mother could be there.

No comments: