Monday, April 11, 2011

I surprised him!




In the past 10 years I've racked my brain trying to think of ways to surprise Darryl. He seems to surprise me every Christmas, birthday, Valentine's day, "Wife's Day," etc. It's really hard to surprise him though because if there is something that he needs/wants he usually just gets it. Well today I succeeded in surprising him--it was more of a complete shock. :) I've been wanting to do something to our bedroom for a long time but if you know me it's hard for a myriad of reasons. A few of the major reasons are: I'm a tight wad, I can't justify spending time and money on a room we're rarely in, and I'm not an interior designer so I don't know what I want. Well bedroom sets were on a super sale and I found one that I kind of liked and had the thought to get pillows in the different color and then paint the walls that color. It turned out great-- much better than the before that's for sure. We've always had a plain jane bedroom but no more! My only regret is I didn't get a before picture so I did a quick edit job in paint so you could kind of get an idea of how drastic the change was. Darryl was gone on a 5 day trip so I spent the first day getting the paint and taping, the next night after all the kids were to bed the painting began. I did let the boys paint a little. They asked constantly if they could help and I told them yes but our ideas were completely different. I only let them paint a small section and then I painted over it--not when they were in there. When I said they could help they thought I meant they could paint a whole wall, so they were a little disappointed. They were so excited each day to see the changes. When Darryl returned they said, "Dad you've got to come and see our surprise for you! You will be so surprised." I'd hung a few pictures that have been sitting around forever(like over a year), so Darryl said, "Oh ya that looks nice." "No in here Dad!" He rounded the corner to the bedroom and said, "Wow! That is a surprise." He didn't have the 'I love it!!!!!!!!!!' reaction I anticipated but he sincerely said he liked it. I think a few people that knew about the project were worried that I was painting our room purple without his input. I knew he liked the deep purple so I figured it would be okay. Kade says it is, "so different." And Clint says it, "sure looks good."

2 comments:

Rachel said...

wow!! looks great! what a wonderful surprise. I have been wanting to paint at my house but I am so scared to start!! I am not good at that kind of thing!

Stephanie said...

How fun! It looks great.