Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween 2012


Some Halloween fun. The boys love the minions from Despicable Me. There is a trailer for the new video that is at the beginning of a few movies they've seen and it makes them laugh so hard. The minions sing "banana" to the Beach Boys "Barbra Ann." It's pretty funny. There are a few other YouTube clips that they love to watch too. Since they were so into it, especially Cole, I decided he should be a minion for Halloween. I made his costume from a yellow shirt, found the perfect goggles online for pretty cheap, and then sprayed them silver. Everything else we had laying around. I did use a bike helmet to make him have a large domed head but he wasn't a fan after the first time, but I think it actually looked better without it. Oops! I thought we could carve our pumpkins into minions but then I had a better idea to use spaghetti squash. Neal and Marcia grew about 60 squash so I stole 4 of them to make my minions. I just painted them like the guys from the banana song video. They were quite the hit. The boys love them and Cole sings the banana song every time he sees them. Kade and Clint didn't want to be minions. They are in the COOL costume stage. It all started back in August when we got a Costume Catalog in the mail. Kade wanted to be Wolverine, and Clint wanted to be a Ninja. They wouldn't let it go. Kade asked me about the costumes all day everyday for a week, so I finally got serious about finding them. I was not going pay what they wanted for their costumes so I found the claws and a ninja costume with nun chucks, daggers, ninja stars, and a sword all for $20. Wahoo! The neighbor had a wolverine costume we borrowed and we were set! We've been prepared since August! Ha Ha!  The ward had a Trunk-or-Treat on the Saturday before Halloween.  It was really nice this year because they had dinner first then the trunks after.  That way the kids went through once and then everyone left.  Trick-or-treating was so grand because the weather was so warm.  Even the breeze was a warm breeze.  It was so perfect!  A lady across the street responded she wanted a trick, when the kids said, "Trick-or-treat!"  Without hesitation Clint said, "Okay!  Watch this."  He did the trick where you hold both fists up with one finger extended on one hand.  You hit your hands together and the extended finger "jumps" to the other fist.  He was so proud.  In fact he and Kade kept doing it all the while the lady is handing out candy to other kids that were coming.  These kids are full of personality I tell you!  Our neighbors, the Selines, always go all out for Halloween. This year they made this gigantic spider climbing on their house. It gave me the heebie-geebeeies but I can appreciate the creativity and work that went into it. :)  This is my cute niece Logan, she looks just like the lady from the 'We Can Do It' posters, Geraldine Hoff Doyle.  Nicely done Logan!

Geraldine Hoff Doyle, R. I. P. Lansing's 'Rosie' dies at age 86. "Her face became the symbol of women's empowerment, and her death is the end of an era. Geraldine Hoff Doyle of Lansing, the woman behind an iconic image of a bandanna-clad, muscle-flexing Rosie the Riveter during WWII, has died. Doyle was 86 upon her death, a lifetime older than the 17-year-old factory worker who was captured in a United Press International photo in a metal-pressing plant near Ann Arbor. Her photo was later used by the U.S. War Production Coordinating Committee in an illustrated poster called, 'We Can Do It!'"

No comments: