Monday, March 10, 2008

Orange Molasses Chicken

Or should we say, orange molten chicken. What a night. Well I was trying out a new recipe tonight. I was excited about it, but it quickly became one issue after another. I started making the recipe which called for juice from 5-6 oranges (3 cups). Well I didn't notice the parenthesis before I bought the ingredients. I juiced my oranges and ended up with about 1 1/2 c. of juice. So it was off to the store in the middle of making the chicken. I get home and get the sauce boiling and the chicken prepped. The sauce has to be reduced which requires watching for about 30min. Well I decide it could reduce a little more when suddenly it went from glaze to ashes. AAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggg! So now I have chicken ready to go in the oven with no flavor. And my house is filled with smoke. Come to think of it my alarms didn't go off. I'm worried. The smoke was thicker that any smoke I've ever seen in a house. Hmmm. Probably ought to check that. I opened all the doors. Darryl was just getting home. He thought I was being so nice and opening the door for him as a welcome. Then he said he notices the feathery clouds in our house. I was so ticked that after all of that I didn't even get to see what the recipe tasted like. I poured some teriyaki sauce on the chicken put it in the oven and went to the scrapbook store to do some shopping for my card trade and to wind down from my frustration. It made me grateful for the uneventful dinners of homemade macaroni and cheese.

4 comments:

Spencer's Adventures said...

How in the world are we always doing the same thing...or similar at least. Maybe when Kade is 5 he will help you out. Tyler screams out if anything unusual is happening. We'll have to trade orange chicken recipes. I have made mine once that did not have an extra mystery ingredient and it was very good.

Dan and Marci said...

At least you try new things!! I'm a boring cook and not even a good one of those! Dan's the chef of this home. Too bad he doesn't get to cook more often.

Jenny said...

I love that you and Wendy both made orange chicken. I need a recipe, I guess from Wendy????

deb said...

that chicken looks really good. sorry it didnt turn out. but at least you got a good story out of it. I hate trying new recipes because usually something always goes wrong.