Saturday, April 25, 2009

Food Co-Op


I thought I'd let you all know about another one of my favorite things--The Community Food Co-op of Utah. This is their description of it on their website, "You can buy quality, healthy food for up to 50% off retail from the Community Food Co-op. Each month, we select about 15 items that you’re most likely to buy at the grocery store -- mostly fresh fruit, vegetables, staple items and frozen meat. Then through collective purchasing, we order mass quantities of these items at very low prices. Our food will come from the same wholesalers that supply your local grocery store, so you can expect the same quality. The food will NEVER be donated, out-dated, or damaged." You can order a share with meat, or without. I get the Harvest Share ($14) which this month consisted of:

1 5-lb. bag of baby red potatoes

8 oranges

1 head of broccoli

4 cucumbers

1 head red leaf lettuce

1 head cauliflower

10 bananas

6 tomatoes

2 1-lb. boxes strawberries

1 loaf Stone Ground's Artisan wheat loaf

16 oz. rice

The produce changes depending on what is in season. You won't know what the produce will be when you order-- we're produce loving people so that doesn't bother me. I figure if I get something we wouldn't use I'd just give it to a neighbor. If you live in Heber you have to go to Park City once a month, on a defined day, to pick it up. There are pick ups Nephi north (sorry all you Sevierians). You don't have to get it every month you fill out the order form each month you want it. You find out more information here:http://www.crossroads-u-c.org/cfc/the_basics/how_to_join.html Click download the printable order form to see the ordering options you have. Like I said I got everything for a total of $14! The first time you order you have to pay a one time membership fee-- but you get to decided how much-- $5 is the minimum suggestion. This is a ONE time fee so once you pay for your membership you never have to pay that again. They also have deals on some local meats like Colosomo Bratwurst and such, just check out the order form to see all the offers.

Side note: It talks about volunteering, which is encouraged but not required.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

wow- what a screaming great thing! I think I will be checking that out. How come you know all the good stuff? I guess I need to pull my head out of the fabric closet! Speaking of, we are sewing Tuesday night. I will call you.

Jenn said...

Sewing-- ya, I need to do that.

Jenny said...

We need to talk! Sounds awesome!

Katie said...

Ditto to Jenny! I want to find out more!

rosie said...

I am still interested also! That looks great!

Elizabeth said...

This looks like an awesome deal... wish they came to Price...