Friday, April 2, 2010

Grandpa Milo




While we were down for Easter weekend Darryl's Grandpa Bosshardt passed away. It is always so sad to have someone you love go, but for Milo it is so great to know he's with his sweetheart again. When he had a massive stroke 9 years ago we all thought he'd pass soon. Then when Grandma passed 2 years ago we all thought for sure he would go too. He's been having so many health issues and so it was so sad to hear of what he was dealing with; missing June and illness. I'm sure it has been frustrating for him to have such a quick mind and not be able to express himself through speech or writing for 9 years. He was such an inspiring man. He was a temple sealer when we were going to get married and we were excited to have him seal us, but just a month prior to the wedding he suffered the stroke that left him unable to speak other than a few words. Every time Milo saw me he'd motion for me to come over and he'd take my hand and say, "Yes," repeatedly. My own thought is that I think he knew Darryl and I were to be together--sappy yes, but I really think he knew something he couldn't tell me.

The funeral service was nice. My heart breaks for Uncle Jay, who has cared for his parents for years. It's so hard to lose those who depend so much on us. Uncle Jay--What a great man.

Darryl recorded an interview with his Grandpa when he was a kid and asked his Grandpa what he thought his greatest accomplishment was during his life. He replied that it was being a temple worker. In the background you hear his wife say, "You started that salt mine." But Grandpa modestly agreed that was great but repeated that being a temple worker was the greatest thing he's done. Back to the salt mine, in the past 10 years since they sold the business it is unbelievable what it has become. They no longer fill shakers by hand and twist on the lids. Machines to it and produce in a day what they use to in weeks. I've often wondered what Milo thinks about what he and his brother's little business has become.

No comments: