Saturday, May 21, 2011

Happy 100th Grandpa Brown


My Grandpa Brown would have been 100 years old this month so his oldest son, my Uncle Buzz, decided to put together a program and get-together so we could learn more about him. He died right after I was born so about 32 years ago. The last event he went to was my blessing. The get together was really neat. Darryl couldn't make it and I don't know if he would have loved it anyway because it was just a lot of trips down memory lane for my family, cousins, aunts, uncles, and I. It was so fun to learn about Grandpa too. I didn't know he was a really quiet man. He also stayed home every Sunday to take care of the little kids(they had 10 total). They said my Grandma really regretted having him do that because it took him years to come back to church. But when he did he was a very devout man. He said he didn't like to go to church because he didn't want to get called on to pray or something. My dad said he wished all those years that he spent with his dad working on the farm that he and his dad had talked more. He said they rarely spoke at all while they moved sprinklers or did any chores. My Grandpa was just a quiet man. It was kind of sad too that all his kids talked about the first time they knew he loved them and it wasn't until they were at least teens. They said he was just so quiet that they just didn't know for sure. Where were my kids during the whole day-- playing with all the little cousins. They were so great the whole time. They had a part of the cultural hall sectioned off for them to play in and the school yard is next door so they would go over and play there for a while too. I remember doing the same thing when I was little at the family get togethers. There were so beat that they fell asleep the second they got in the car-- Sweet boys. I was so happy to get a picture of all Dad's siblings with him and we also took one of just me and my siblings and parents. Such a great day. Oh and we started the day with Jaxon's baptism. They made arrangements to have Jaxon baptized right before the program so just our little family was there in the Koosharem church. Another neat thing was that Todd, our cousin, is in the bishopric so he conducted the baptism--pretty special day for Jaxon. I thought it was neat too that Austin and Tanner gave the talks and then all the Nance boys sang the special number; So neat to have them all apart of it.

No comments: