Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It's a Math Puzzle!

So Darryl forwarded a news article to me on Tues. the 14th and his purpose was to give me something to show my students as to why they should learn math.  The article was about a local businessman had created a new business and if someone could figure out the name from the attachment they could win $10,000.  My first thought was 'that's fun' . . . dial tone. . .  Then I clicked on the image and saw it was a series of equations.  It just got interesting and became something I couldn't put down.  I worked at the equations and solved them within a few minutes but then what?  There wasn't any contact information.  I e-mail the news reporter and he just said that what was in the article was all they had.  So I thought there had to be a phone number or something there.  I started calling all kinds of combinations of the solutions with no luck then I looked again at the equations and I noticed 801.  That is a Utah area code!  I combined all of the constants and called the number and what do you know I got the voicemail of the guy! I felt my heart fall to the floor.  I got another number from that and texted them.  They sent a text back asking me how I got their number.  I figured I didn't have something right so I disappointed replied how and apologized if I had the wrong person.   She replied and congratulated me and said they just had to do that to weed out people that didn't actually solve it.  She then got my e-mail address so she could send me a confidentiality agreement.  I signed my life away and then she sent me "the key."  It was the square root of 3.  I played with it all day, except for the hour I spent at Relief Society.  I had signed up to take a salad so I went for a little bit.  Darryl was gone on a business trip and so he sent me a text asking me if I'd figured it out.  I told him I was at RS and he replied, "It's like you're on the Amazing Race and you're about to cross the finish line but you stop to take a nap."  I laughed at that.  I wasn't the best mom at all for the next few days.  I couldn't sleep well I just kept reeling about the equations.  I just couldn't figure out how I was suppose to get words out of it.  I played with binary stuff and about everything you could imagine.  On Wed. they closed the competition and said there were about 100 of us with the key.  Then the next day they still didn't have a winner so they sent us a clue.  I got the clue Thursday night just before I took Darryl on a date for our anniversary(see other post :)).  We got home late and the next morning we were leaving for Lagoon.  Needless to say I wasn't going to get to play with it other than in my head and I was going to be totally distracted so I was frustrated that I hadn't figured it out.  When we got back from Lagoon late late at night I checked and that night someone had solved it.   :(  I was somewhat relieved to get my life back though. :)  It had consumed me.  And it actually still consumed me for a few more days until I finally was able to let it go.  I wouldn't let myself work on it after it had been solved because there wasn't a point anymore and it really was making me a stressed out neglectful mom :|  but I couldn't quit thinking about it for a few days.  I couldn't write this post or tell anyone details about it, due to the agreement I signed, until after they revealed the name in August.  When they revealed the name I had no idea how they came up with that.  I still haven't gotten the solution but I can say it was a fun ride. ;)

No comments: