Monday, August 6, 2012

Get your Fruit Snacks!


 
The second summer started the boys began begging to set up a "lemonade" stand. I didn't want to deal with lemonade so they decided to sell fruit snacks, & fruit roll-ups. The made their sign on a rainy day with no intention of selling that day but they wanted to be all ready when a great sale day came. Today was that day. They were so excited when their first customer came that they ran over to me shouting, "We've got our first customer!" The customer was left there wanting to buy. :)   They had a lot of enthusiasm in the beginning.  They would holler out, "Get your Fruit Snacks and Fruit Roll-ups!"  My favorite was when a customer would come Clint would say, "Make sure you tell your friends."  They were so funny to watch.  Well the first hour was pretty slow.  They were ready to pack up and go back home but then suddenly a rash of people came and they were excited about the sales again.  It was so great to watch people that knew them support them and make them feel so great by coming to buy something from them.  It was also great to watch people who were just genuinely good people come and "play along."  People are amazing.  While we were sitting there I saw a little red car come flying around a corner where there are typically many kids crossing.  I thought, 'Boy I hope that kid dies before he hits an innocent little kid and kills them.  What a punk!'   About 15 minutes later that same car came and pulled up to the boys stand.  I sat there thinking, 'The nerve of that punk to stop here!'  Well he got out taught me a lesson.  It was a teenage boy and he walked up to the boys and made them feel like they were a million bucks.  He asked them what they were selling and then acted like they made his day with what they had to offer.  The boys were loving it.  Then he asked if he could buy two fruit snacks.  He gave them each a quarter and then said, "Here's a tip for you guys since you're so awesome."  He handed them a dollar bill and their eyes became as big as lemons.  They looked back at me and you could tell that it didn't matter if another customer came.  That "punk" made their day.  The lesson I learned is that we're all people, we all matter, and even though we may make poor choices that doesn't make us less of a person.  I was so thankful for that moment.  What a neat day.  I drug my feet hard trying not to go through with this lemonade stand but it turned out to be a pretty magical day.

No comments: