Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Honey . . . maker


We'll if you've ever heard me talk of my amazing hubby you've heard me say he's a man of many talents, he does everything, or he has a million pans in the fire. Well he's added one more talent and another pan in the fire. And I guess I was wrong; he didn't do everything but I'm pretty sure that he does now. ; )

Darryl has been studying and wanting to care for a beehive. There are many motivations: intrigue, help the bee population, and colleagues with a similar interest.

He's had so much fun watching the bees. Darryl was so proud of this bee with it's huge pollen sacks. It was so hard to get that picture of it too because the wind was blowing like crazy and the flower kept swinging around. The day we took the pictures he put in more frames for the bees to start making him honey. (All the honey they have made is for themselves. I'm learning A LOT about bees too.) He had to scrape off some honeycomb to make the frames fit, so we had a bowl full of honeycomb. We got it home and I said, "Now what do you do with it?" He laughed and said, "I don't know." We ended up throwing it away but not before we sampled the honey that had dripped out. It tasted like great fresh honey!
The only way Darryl knows how to get the honey is to put the frame on a spinner and then scrape off the beeswax. We don't currently have a spinner because 'our' honey won't be ready to harvest until September.
Luckily for me the beehives reside in the backyard of Darryl's boss. Darryl would like to have them in our backyard one day but until we have a MUCH larger lot that won't be happening.
I guess everyone knows what they'll be getting from us for Birthdays, and Christmas!

5 comments:

Spencer's Adventures said...

Holy cow! That would totally freak me out! I am scared to get near one bee!

Jenny said...

Darryl! WOW, what do you want to do next? Lets hear it, I need a post of the top 10 things that Darryl will learn how to do NEXT! My parents had bees on their farm in Idaho and we had tons of friends in England who raised bee's. I don't know much except what I learned from the bee movie. I own it if you want to learn about Jerry Seinfield as a bee!

Brasher family said...

Thanks Jenn! You are sweet. I've had it dark for a long time and I like it better too! I can't believe Darryl has a beehive! I am impressed. I get scared if one bee gets around me. That is crazy! I bet you guys will have some good honey to eat!

Stacie Aho said...

Oh my goodness. That is so cool, but very crazy at the same time. I wouldn't want them in my backyard because of the kids! That would scare me to death.
Hopefully I'll get to taste that yumminess sometime!

renee' said...

That is so fun, you will be lovin' that honey in the fall, I'm jealous! Kevin's brother-in-law does the same thing and we usually get a jar of honey for Christmas, it's the BEST!!!!