Friday, September 19, 2008

Recipe

I had Bunco at my house last night and many people wanted me to post the recipe for them so here you go:

Veggie Tamale Casserole
A great recipe to use up a lot of zucchini! Freezes very well. You can also substitute fresh cut corn, and fresh tomatoes—even better!

2 T. oil
1 small onion chopped
3-4c. shredded zucchini my shredder makes small julienned pieces
1 can 15.2oz. corn (drained)
1 can 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes (drained)
1 can 15 oz. black beans (rinsed)
1 tsp. cumin
½ tsp. salt
13 corn tortillas (quartered)
19 oz. green enchilada sauce I like to use more so I use the 28 oz. You can use mild – hot.
1 ¼ c. cheddar cheese (grated)
½ - 1 c. chopped fresh cilantro

In a pan heat oil add onion then zucchini. Cook for 2 min. Add remaining veggies, beans, cumin, and salt. Let heat through while getting everything else ready. In 9 x 13 sprayed dish layer half of the tortillas, then half the veggie mixture, then half the enchilada sauce, then half the cheese. Repeat the layers. Cover with foil. Bake at 400 deg. for 15 min. then remove the foil and bake for another 10 min. Serve with chopped fresh cilantro on top. ENJOY!!!

Darryl's Rice (that's what I call it)
3 c. water
1 1/2 c. rice
2 T. butter
1 tsp. garlic powder
3 tsp. chicken bullion granules (or you can substitute 3 c. of chicken broth for the water and bullion)
3/4 c. frozen corn
dash of cayenne pepper

Place water, garlic powder, and bullion in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. While that is heating up place rice and butter in another pan (notice the translucent color of the rice) cook on medium heat stirring often. Once it become opaque it is done. Dump rice into boiling water, add cayenne pepper and corn. Cover, return to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer for about 15-20 min. or until rice is tender.

4 comments:

rosie said...

Jenn,
Thanks for posting these recipes!Everything was so delicious! You did a great job!

Jenn said...

Thanks for all your help Rosie! I seriously couldn't have done it all without you taking the boys. You're so amazing-- I can't believe you offered when you had so much on your plate. You've insipred me to be better at that.

Jessica said...

I loved!! the tamale casserole! I was crossing my fingers hoping you would post it on here. Thanks for the recipe! I also love your $5.00 prize, so cute, and Kelsey stole my lip gloss, so she loves that I guess. Bunco was fun!

renee' said...

I'm so glad you posted this, I have been craving it! I told my mom about it and she wanted the recipe too. Yummy! Bunco was GREAT!