Sunday, April 6, 2008

Day 7 in China

What could have been a lazy uneventful traveling day turns into a nightmare.

They gave us free time to go shopping this morning but I think all of us just relaxed instead and took our time packing for home. This is a picture of the Orange group. We really had the best group of people. I wish we lived closer to them all so we could get together.















We boarded Shanghai's Maglev (magnetic levitation) train. It is one of the fastest trains in the world. It goes 287 mph and in 7 min. covers 20 miles. It was the fastest 7 min. of my life. Watching the houses go by felt like we were on some kind of amusement park ride. The train goes from Hangzhou to the airport in Shanghai. Here we boarded the plane to fly to L.A. We were pretty happy to be heading home to our boys.















Well the plane ride was a little on the. . . interesting side. I had felt sick all morning and was certain with a plane ride I would have to use the lovely bags they provide. (I must note that all the flying we did throughout this trip I never got seriously nauseous. Yea! ) Just as I had expected I felt horrible on the plane. I was so tired but I couldn't sleep because I felt like I would throw up any second. After about 3 hours I finally thought I was going to be sick and I figured if I went to the bathroom I could throw up without an audience. I quickly headed back to the bathrooms; both were occupied. I cut through the walk way to check the bathrooms on the other side of the plane. This is what was going through my mind next. . . 'Why is Terry above me? This dream is so real and so weird. That old Chinese lady that is pulling on my arm is scaring me. She's saying something in Mandarin but who knows what she's trying to tell me. Dreams are so bizarre.' I hear Terry yell, "Get Darryl. Some one get Darryl." 'What is going on?' Then I remember I'm on a plane and I was sick and going to the bathroom. Then I hear, "Attention, we have a passenger that is in need of medical attention." I immediately think they're going to take us back to China. 'Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!' I just wanted to be home. I guess I missed the rest of the announcement because Darryl said they just asked if there were any doctors that could help. He said there were a few that came to help. I don't remember seeing anyone but hearing one mans' voice asking Darryl and I questions. My hands felt like your mouth feels after going to the dentist, I kept shaking but I wasn't cold, and I was like a noodle. My body felt so rubbery and weak. Plus I was on a plane in the middle of who knows where. All of this had me pretty scared but I still felt sick so I just laid there and tried to sleep. I did get up to use the bathroom and the same thing happened to me while I was in there. I felt very sick, got really hot, and blacked out. The doctor figured it was just due to a drop in my blood pressure. After we landed in L.A. I was better than before but still felt weak and light headed. What I learned: The only way to get a whole row of seats, all the water you'll ever need, and a special wheelchair ride straight through customs is to pass out on the plane. It wasn't worth it though if you ask me. I'd much rather feel healthy and be thirsty, sardined in a seat, and waiting in line like everyone else. We immediately jumped on our bus bound for Cedar City. We arrived there at about 9:15 PM. We just wanted to get home so instead of staying over in Cedar we drove to Redmond so we could see our boys the next morning. China was fabulous but as Dorthy said, "There's no place like home."

3 comments:

thelarsenfamilyexpeditions said...

your pictures are really
great. Sounds like you
had a lot of fun. I have
enjoyed seeing the different
days it will probably be the
closest I get to China.

Stacie Aho said...

Scary Jenn!! I hope you're feeling better. I bet your boys were SO happy to see you. Was it hard to be away from them for that long?

Rachel said...

Dang, I hate, HATE feeling sick. Oh, just thinking about it is making me feel all nasty.
That was surely not a good experience, so sorry you had to have it. How very scary. I need to hear more about this in person. Hopefully we will have play group soon and you can tell us all about this crazy fun trip of yours.